This is the web site of the Introduction to Data Science course offered by the Department of Mathematics, University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO).
- Dec 11: Presenting data analysis report in 10 minutes. View slides.
- Dec 9: Handling missing and messy data. View slides.
- Dec 4: Manipulation of data under hadoop distributed file system. View slides.
- Dec 2: Hadoop and Mapreduce: a demonstration of wordcount. View slides.
- Nov 27: Thanksgiving break.
- Nov 25: Big data technology. View slides.
- Nov 20: Running virtual machine using the VMWare player. View slides.
- Nov 18: Manipulating image data. View slides.
- Nov 13: Working in Data Science Lab. View slides.
Also, the sources codes and supporting files of an html template presentation created in class can be found in the github repository. View slides and knitr source.
- Nov 11: Exploring data from database: MySQL, R and dplyr. View slides.
- Nov 6: Making Sense of Sensor Data. Speaker Dr. Ted Dunning from MapR.
- Nov 4: Interactive data visualization using shiny and ggvis. View slides.
Also view the shiny application we created to explore US crime data.
- Oct 30: Interactive data visualization using D3. View slides
- Oct 28: Panel discussion with business executives and data scientists.
Participants from: ConAgra Foods, Hudl, Kiewit, Palm Beach Holding Company and Union Pacific
- Oct 23: Scraping HTML data from the web. View slides
- Oct 21: Fall break, no class. Cheers !
- Oct 16: Manipulating XML and JSON data. View slides
- Oct 9: Working with dates and times. View slides
- Oct 7: Manipulation and visualization of text data. View slides
- Oct 2: Working with text data. View slides
- Sep 30: Homework2 solution and project discussion
- Sep 25: Guest speaker Patrick Kerrigan, President of The Palm Beach Holding Company LTD Antigua & Barbuda.
- Sep 23: Manipulation of large data; fast, efficient and consistent way. View slides
- Sep 18: Data manipulation. View slides
- Sep 16: Subsetting and Reshaping data. View slides
- Sep 11: Display spatial data and google maps. View slides
- Sep 9: Exploratory data visualization. View slides
- Aug 28: What is data science and data products? View slides
- Aug 26: Introduction and overview of the resources. View slides